Wednesday, November 24, 2010

These are the things you appreciate.



I have an absolutely redonkulous cat.

His name is Notamus. Observe:

Obviously redonk.

Notamus likes to be cuddled. When I'm sitting at this desk, watching Jeremy Brett (rest in peace!) as Sherlock Holmes, he leaps into my lap and proceeds to act as though he's Boneless Cat. His head lollygags over one of my legs, his hind legs stretch waaaay out, and he wants belly rubs.

His brother is not quite as redonk. Flashes will have none of that boneless stuff; instead, he likes to climb up my front and down my back. Cute, if it's a half-pound kitten doing it. Not so cute when it's an eight-pound cat.

Very serious.

I love my cats. They kept me from going over the hairy edge when I was stuck at home.

I also love pancakes. They're easy to eat, they're a good source of quick energy, and made with sour cream, so delicate they nearly float off the plate.

I love my dog. Duh. If there's a Zen master in existence right now, it's him.

No caption can do him justice.


I love the friends and family that I've got that have kept me from climbing the walls, and told me that I sound great, and generally been cheerleaders for me.

I love that I have a job where nobody really notices if I sound like a cross between Daffy Duck and Bridey Murphy when I get tired.

I'm happy that it's going to rain tonight and be cold and rainy tomorrow, and that I have a fridge full of Thanksgiving food that I *like*, including peach ice cream, and a nearly-full bottle of Dalwhinnie, and plenty of Jeremy Brett on Netflix, and a copy of "Young Frankenstein" that is just waiting for me to watch it.

I may only have one third of a mouth left, but I'm thankful with all of it. I hope your Thanksgiving has half as many things to be grateful for as mine does.

9 comments:

thursdaynextgal said...

Have you seen the new BBC Sherlock Holmes reboot? Modern-day setting/technology...Sherlock is awesome in his Aspie glory and Watson is smoldering and yummy...

RehabNurse said...

Jo:

Hope you have a great day!

I am thankful for the whole kit and kaboodle--the family, the house, the wild dog and the crazy leaves everywhere making a royal mess.

I am one lucky girl. I have a good life and I am so thankful for that this Thanksgiving.

Ewa said...

Happy Thanksgiving.
We love our kitties too. Brother and sister, look very much alike, totally different personalities. She is small but brave, demanding attention, curious, he is big, afraid of everything, shy but very sensitive.
In addition to all the things in my life I am grateful for, I am also thankful for e-knowing you. You are a very inspiring person. Thank you.hequers

'Drea said...

Sweet gratitude list...

Eileen said...

Happy Thanksgiving Jo - and use some of the Dalwhinnie to make a toast to many more of them!

Any yes - I think the modern BBC Holmes is brilliant - and they have decided to do more after initially saying it was a one off!

messymimi said...

I'm thankful for you, your writing inspires me to keep trying, and take joy where I can.

Elyse said...

Notamus redonk and clearly OK with it. Flashes paws appear innocent in repose. Your dog's face very wise indeed. The all white w/one green eye & one blue eye kitty of my youth was so boneless I entertained my mother with a fashion show. My cat was a hat, a muff, a mink stole, etc. She carried all off with elegance.

Sarah Glenn said...

Notamus looks a lot like like my dear departed cat-child. Does he ever stretch himself out on the floor in the shape of an exclamation point?

Anonymous said...

Glad you are doing better! Please post the pancake recipe. Sounds yummy!!