Friday, November 05, 2010

Imagine me ripping my shirt off, hollering at the sky:

FUCK, YEAH.


So today I went out to someplace other than the doctor's office. I did not manage either yardwork or a Goodwill stop, but I had good reasons for both: First, there was no yardwork to be done. I thought the yard might need mowing, but it didn't. And second, I totally forgot I had a trunkload of stuff to go to Goodwill.

My bad.

But I went to Target! And I had an interaction with somebody I didn't know! And it didn't end with them looking at me funny and saying "WHAT???" a lot and me leaving in tearful frustration! I now am the proud owner of a Waterpik tooth- and gaping-hole-cleaning device, some baking soda, some sea salt, and a bottle of wine.

And I went to My Favorite Place and saw My Favorite Bartender/Minion/Student (yo, A!) and it was okay. I was very, very tired by that point, so I came home.

All in all, I got three things done that I really wanted to: I managed 30 minutes out in the sun with Max, pumping up my stores of vitamin D and using my muscles a little bit. I got fatigued just rolling up an extension cord; that was a little scary. I also got out of the house and got a Waterpik, which looks like it'll be easier to use than the current nasal rinse system I've got. And I got to see A., who saw me last on my discharge day from the hospital, when I was still cross-eyed, drooling, and pale from lack of blood, and reassure her that I am indeed okay.

And I dressed up to do it all, too. And I showered. So not only was I wearing clean clothes, but I was clean myself, and my outfit looked like I hadn't dressed in the dark.

You guys understand, of course, that that in itself is a major win for me.

My goals for tomorrow are, no kidding, to drink eight glasses of water and eat two high-protein meals and a green smoothie. Seriously--this is what it's come to. I am not eating enough. Up until now, my protein stores have been more than adequate (and probably would continue to be so), but I'd rather burn fat and glucose for energy and use protein for healing rather than burning muscle for all.

And go grocery shopping. I'm expanding the list of "things that are acceptable to ingest pureed". Hmmm. Tuna and beets? Don't mind if I do! Moose Munch and vanilla yogurt? Bring it on! Corn, black beans, sour cream, and a little cheese? Sure!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job, Jo! We're rootin' for ya. Keep this day close to your heart when need to have that touchstone of your inner strength. It's there.

Celeste said...

Corn, black beans, sour cream and cheese--that sounds like a Chipotle shake. Bahahahaha

I'm so glad you had an awesome day. Target fills me with despair because I can't get out of there without dropping at least $50 (it's true) but it sounds like that Water Pik could really serve you well.

So happy about your great day!!!

Jennifer Thorson said...

Jo, this random internet reader is so,so glad to see this entry. I hope you have many more days that are just as good for you.

Anonymous said...

Magnificent.

Middle-aged Diva (Carol) said...

YES!!!

Allison said...

I'm so happy you had a better day. The dark days tend to suck a person under, but hey, a trip to Target is an awesome thing.

Kirstin said...

Fuck. YEAH.

Lurkette said...

You rock!

Umm... except for the tuna and beets thing. Together? Ewwwwwwwwww!

painting with fire said...

Hurrah! Feeling enough better to do all that is great! so glad!

Ewa said...

You can pure any meat or fish with some broth.
You are doing great!

TheSchaft said...

Baby steps, baby steps.

A little at a time, and pay attention when your body says it's time to stop. Don't push yourself too hard and expect those days when you don't feel like you can do anything.

While minor, your body has suffered an invasion of sharp things. With that and the drugs, it is still trying to adjust.

Your mind is still in its old mode and needs to adjust also to this "new normal".

All that said, we're all doing our happy dance out here for you. :)

Crazed Nitwit said...

Celebrate the small achievements!

I have a resident who essentially has no lips. Skin cancer I believe. You are giving insight into what he must deal with each and every day. Thanks. It will help me to be a more compassionate nurse.

rebekah said...

I'm going to e-mail you a recipe I just fixed last week, and it was delicious...Creamy Chicken Divan Soup. In the recipe, you add chopped cooked chicken, but I'll bet you can puree it, together with the rest.

I'm happy about your Good Day.

messymimi said...

Having gotten out of the hospital feeling like death warmed up in the microwave more than once, I salute you! These are indeed giant steps.

memune said...

Jo's mojo is back (ducks and runs)!

WV is "auessaf." I think that's "awesome" in Esperanto.

Just My 2¢ said...

Since everybody else is being nice and supportive, let me be the one jerk that says...

You had me at the headline!

P.S. Get 'em, kiddo!

clairesmum said...

glad for good days.

spider said...

more good days like this!

what about chickpea soup? chickpeas, stock, onions, pimenton. pimenton is essential.