Sunday, November 07, 2010

Odds and Ends, Bits and Pieces...

It struck me this evening that, given all available evidence, my surgeon is actually a Doctor in disguise. He has two sidekicks, one with a walleye and one who looks like the Hunchback of Notre Dame and sounds like he ought to be punching cattle; he stoops when he walks and looks as though he's only just taken off his stripey scarf; he seems familliar to everyone, even if they've never met him.

I need to take a closer look 'round his office next time I go back. There might be a TARDIS I'm missing.

*** *** *** *** ***

The 20th century finally caught up with Chez Jo. I discovered the joys of Netflix Instant last night, and watched "Star Trek" (the new one) with a cat, a blanket, a box of wine from Target (don't scoff; the pinot grigiot isn't bad), a hot water bottle, and a bag of Glad Corn. Provided the wine holds out, I might never leave the house again.

*** *** *** *** ***

Oh, and I found the Kindle. I lost it the other day, right after I finished "Pride and Prejudice", and only just found it after looking for the *third* time under the couch cushions. Friend Anne had convinced me that the cats had stolen and hidden it.

*** *** *** *** ***

Did you know--I did not--that there was an eleven-percent increase in the number of women who got oral cancer in 2008? More and more of us are under the age of 60, too--the greatest growth of new diagnoses for women in 2009 was in women aged 40 to 50. That's probably due to the prevalence of HPV infection, and the fact that it takes some time for the virus to do damage to mouth and throat tissues. All of this makes early detection that much more important: caught early, your chances of surviving even the nastiest oral cancer are 80% or better; once it hits a lymph node, they drop. Substantially. To the point that "get your affairs in order" is sometimes good advice.

I, of course, had to have a cancer that not only doesn't have any risk factors, but is almost impossible to induce in a laboratory setting. Bah, humbug.

*** *** *** *** ***

Go to the damn dentist, is what I'm saying above.

*** *** *** *** ***

Speaking of which, I have to write my hygenist--the person who found Cap'n Lumpy--a thank-you note. I want to wait until after I get a solid on whether or not I'll have radiation, though. Due to the fact that everyone associated with my surgeon is a goofball and I am too, we *all* misread the calendar. Tumor board meets this coming Wednesday. You all know what to do.

*** *** *** *** ***

Years ago, I blogged about a weird aspic I'd had at L'Express in Montreal: pureed broccoli and cheese of some sort, in a clear, chicken-broth-based gelatin, served warm. I'm going to try making that this week, just as a sort of fuck-you to the Land of Soft Foods I'm stuck in.

And that is all. Good night. I'm going to sleep tonight under a mound of mammals.

10 comments:

Beth said...

I don't know you, and you don't know me. I am pretty sure i'd like you if i were to know you in person...not sure if you'd say the same of me tho :) All that to say, i (a perfect stranger) am happy that you are on the mend! keep taking care..

Andrea said...

Dude that asspic sounds like it will be either totally gross or totally awesome. Not much grey area there. Please report!

~**~*Tumor Board Vibes*~*~*

PS: my word verification for this comment is "crypoo" HAHAHAHA! Love it!

Cartoon Characters said...

I have a great recipe for a cold cilantro soup that is fabulous. Got it from the midwives in California. If you like cilantro.

NurseJannie said...

Dear Jo. Will you please do your faithful minion a huge favor and send a shout out for some prayers for my 20 months old son Valde. He's going in for an MRI of his brain ( he has an external hydrocephalus) and his spine ( a suspected case of spina bifida) and I'm scared out of my mind for him.

Sincerely JannieCPH

memune said...

Jo - your orders received and rogered. I have a recipe for a garlic souffle that should go down easily; if you like garlic I'll email it to you.

I want you to know that the weekend before your surgery, I found a small bump on my hard palate that wasn't the normal aphthous ulcer - it was hard, not painful, didn't move, and wasn't just something stuck there. I promptly made an appt with my dentist, who shrugged and said "I dunno, here's the number for the oral surgeon," who in turn said it's basically a mole. But thanks to you, I got it checked out.

@JannieCPH - here's some extra good wishes for your boy, you and yours will be in our thoughts.

Dr. Alice said...

Your thank you note will make that dental hygenist's day, or even week. I guarantee you that.
Prayers for Valde going up.

Penny Mitchell said...

Prayers for Valde. Huge.

And in April of 2008 I was on my way to the dentist for my biannual cleaning when the nurse at my Mom's LTC center called to say that she really thought it was time to talk about hospice. I canceled the cleaning. The dentist's office called and called and called to reschedule and finally threw up their hands in disgust and said, "Fine, screw you."

The day after Jo's hygienist possibly saved her life I called and finally rescheduled that damn cleaning.

Perfect report card, by the way. No cavities or anything. I will NOT take this as evidence that I only have to get my teeth cleaned every two years. Trust me.

pita said...

After getting my wisdom teeth taken out and surgery for a gum graft, I lived off mashed potatoes and refried beans for weeks so I hear ya on the soft foods sucking. Soups got boring too since I couldn't eat the yummy thick soups with lots of chunky bits.
Let us know how that aspic turns out.

Anonymous said...

I am a faithful reader and always look forward to new posts!

All that aside...I am so glad to hear that you are doing better. And I would like to recommend watching Weeds on netflix, not sure if you are into that type of show but I am hooked! I also recommend Worst week, that show is hilarious!

Good luck to ya!
Your blog stalker, Christina :)

messymimi said...

Yes, I know what to do. Yes, I will also continue praying for the other blogger with cancer that you mentioned, and will add Jannie above.

A mound of mammals -- sounds like a perfect place to sleep.