Monday, June 21, 2010

Nix and Hydra, and other things.

It's the solstice. This is always sort of a sad day for me, as it marks the time when the days begin to get shorter. There are plenty of blackberries still to be had, and apples and Brussels sprouts still to come...but. One begins to feel like Robinson Crusoe, rescuing spars and detritus from a wreck that's long since gone down.


Nix and Hydra, Pluto's two moons, were disovered on this day in 2006. Were they demoted, too?

The Battle of Okinawa ended, in 1945.

Bats are particularly active at this time of year.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

Love, love, love your blog! I live in a teeny tiny town and have a private duty patient in an even teenier town. I work at my nursing job just 2 days a week (keeping busy the other days with my family and the newspaper I own, edit, and publish). If I lived in a big city, I'd be a-nurse-in-a-very-specialized-area just like you, so I live vicariously through you.

It's interesting that a non-nursing post got me to finally comment, but I had to because I feel the same way you do about the days getting shorter. Even tho there are several months of "summer" before my oldest goes to college, and his sister goes back to school, it's sad to know the days are getting shorter. I think I'm going to sit outside tonight on my deck for as long as I can...unless the storms or West-Nile-bearing mosquitoes drive me inside.

THANK YOU for your great posts!