Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Well, that's nice to know.

I had my first mammogram (note to toy developers: if you ever come up with a My First Mammogram toy for little girls, I want a cut) last week and a resquish today. Those of us who are nulliparous and who have dense breasts often have to get resquished and sonographied, as our breast tissue is denser and contains more stuff that can mess up the X-rays.

Mammograms, I learned last week and today, do not have to hurt. The trick is to go somewhere that they do *only* mammography, so you're not working with a tech who also X-rays things like femurs and skulls. It's a tricky job, zapping tits with radiation--there's a lot of positioning and moving of tissue that I hadn't expected. It's interesting, but a rather strange sensation.

Anyway, the first mammogram showed wonky bits in both breasts. The second one, taken at slightly different angles, clarified that those bits were indeed wonky. Given that I had a clean PET in October, I wasn't particularly worried, but still.....when the tech came back and told me the radiologist would be doing a bilateral sono, I started getting nervous.

Dudes: THEY HEAT UP THE SONO GEL. No shit. It's actually warmer than skin temperature. I need to remember this for all the sonography we do in the unit.

Anyhow, the magnificence of my breasts has now been confirmed scientifically, and I am to return in a year to make sure that their quality is undiminished.

The best things about this clinic? Bathrobes. Real, cuddly, fleece bathrobes that are NOT pink, to put over the little gown-thingy they give you. One cup coffee/tea/hot chocolate makers around every corner. And, best of all, a SNACK BAR. If you want a little something to munch on while you're watching "Charmed" and waiting for the radiologist, you can have fruit or peanut butter crackers or maybe a little donut.

I am all about the snack bar from here on out. Every clinic worth its salt will have one when I'm Queen of the Universe.

11 comments:

clairesmum said...

gee, the place I go has thin bathrobes and no snacks - might have to see what I can do about that!
my husband had to have a mammogram for a suspicious lump under his nipple - no tech can make that feel OK! Glad you are set for the year.

Cartoon Characters said...

on L&D we keep our gel in the warmer for those u/s to visulize baby's head in the correct position.

Gee. Reminds me. I haven't had a mammogram in 15 years....time flies. And they are all free here.

Loki said...

Good to know they don't have to be painful, this is actually the first I've heard that they don't have to be an excruciating ordeal.

Penny Mitchell said...

I have to restate this here: Do NOT go for a mammogram the week before your period. All the heated smashy plates, scented candles and fuzzy robes in the universe won't matter. Seriously...it is MORE than worth the effort to look at the calendar and time the squishing at the right time.

As for nulliparous breasts...yes. They are STUNNING. Thank you.

girlvet said...

wow snack bar...cool

Cr0w$C@lling said...

I want a referral.

Silliyak said...

"nulliparous" Flash back to Seinfeld episode, "Yes they're real and they are magnificent!" Thanks for the new word (to me) of the day.

Jo said...

Crowscalling: No joke! When the tech asked me if I wanted a snack, I was all "Whut, snack?" and then the possibilities hit me.

For now, I am all about starting the day with a mammogram, continuing with a hard workout and a massage, and finishing up with some tater tots and a frozen pizza.

Oh, and wine. Lots and lots of red wine.

messymimi said...

Wish this place were in my neck of the woods, or something at least remotely similar.

Glad for the magnificent report.

Celeste said...

There's a gel warmer anyplace you're getting a pregnancy sonogram. As you noted, it makes a difference when the person doesn't first need to recoil from the chill of cold gel.

GuitarGirlRN said...

Yeah. Didn't know the "before the period" thing. Oh. My god. That was awful. And I have cystic, nulliparous breasts, so they always have to do extra shots. Ow.