Friday, September 22, 2006

You know it's time for a glass of wine when...

...a memo describing an upcoming change in hospital policy gets you so angry that you send a snarky, venting email with scarcely a word under three syllables off to your manager, ranting about how un-Einsteinian Upper Manglement is.

And then, even though you prefaced it with the disclaimer that it was venting and snarking and nothing more, your manager finds that it so perfectly describes the mood of The Lowly Worker that she forwards it.

To everybody.

Everybody, that is, except the president. Who will probably hear about it anyhow, within a matter of days.

Good thing I used nice, big words and phrases I can look back on with pride, such as "(the) headlong gallop down this precipitous slope to mediocrity" and "the breathless pursuit of the lowest common denominator."

The memory will keep me warm in the cardboard box I'm sure I'll be living in starting Monday.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, you can always come work for us in the Big City with Good Food But a Severe Nursing Shortage Due to Ridiculous Home Prices ...

Janet said...

Good for you!!! Give'em hell! Maybe your email will wake up a few of the Upper Manglement zombies!

Anonymous said...

It's nice that you're not apathetic or too afraid to speak up. Congrats!

woolywoman said...

I think I'm going to need that meno. Really. ANd, since I'm unionized, as long as I don't actually slit anyone's belly, or use racially charged terms, I can mouth off all I want. ( My mother once gave me carreer advice that can be summed up as I better either be a bigshot or in a union, because I have a mouth that could render me jobless without said protection.) Opinions are free. Explanation costs you a diet coke. SO, uhm, can we read the memo? pretty please? But no, I guess that would out your hospital, and so, no, but I bet it's worth reading. At least your manager cares that you have an opinion.

Anonymous said...

Oh gee, there's adult behavior! Ever hear of counting to 10?

shrimplate said...

Maybe some old vidoes of "In Living Color" in which Anton, the Damon Wayans character, is featured recurrently in "This Old Box" skits, would be helpful to you.

No really. I too would like to see a bit of the memo. There's about 98 Senators that should also see it, I'd guess.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, hope that your memo doesn't earn you a pink slip, and hope that manglement figures out how to do things better!

Anonymous said...

So ... yeah, any reaction yet? Or did you use words that were too big for them?