Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I'll see you in a few days, friends.

Damned Diana Gabaldon.

What is there not to love, really, about a book focusing on a World War II nurse who falls back in time two hundred years and becomes embroiled in the Culloden uprising? And what's not to love about the subsequent books in the series?

Well, quite a lot, actually. The first one, Outlander, is one of those cracking good adventure stories with fantastic dialogue and lovely evil bad guys. The next three books in the series get a bit dull, while simultaneously putting people in totally unbelievable situations. The fifth one's a near-complete loss (I use it as a doorstop).

But this one? This one, so far, has all the tang of the first novel.

I am not, not, not, NOT a fan of romance novels. Not at all. Hard science fiction is much more my style. But this series has been such a pleasant bowl of mental farina that I had to get the last book.

And now I'll probably be up until 0200 reading. And not blogging.

I'll let you know when I'm done.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I know Im WAY back in your archives, but I must say, your blog is absolutely hilarious. I agree with you about the outlander series. I love the first one, but it goes progressively downhill from there.