Thursday, September 08, 2005

Welcome to my universe....

In which a discussion of the radical Marxist feminism of 30 years ago turns into a discussion of whether or not lesbian sex is used as a metaphor for death on "Buffy", and everybody gets very upset 'cept me, who's never seen an episode of "Buffy"...

In which the best list of links for Hurricane Katrina relief was put up by the gals at Go Fug Yourself...

In which a friend of mine loses her job and is made to go through counselling and Narcotics Anonymous meetings even *after* her tox test came back negative for alcohol or drugs, lest she be reported to the State nursing board...

In which the city government of Our Fair Burg has decided that housing Katrina evacuees would be "bad for business"--even though a neighboring town of half our size has turned an old grocery store into a shelter...

And an online pal sent me a picture from her local (Dallas) paper of an evacuee's dog who had been smuggled in a backpack all the way from NOLA, sticking his cute little doggy schnozz out to get some fresh air (I giggled until I cried, and then I cried some more)...

In which a "snack" is corn on the cob, roasted asparagus, and half an artichoke (next week I'll be back to Cheetos and beer, never you mind)...

In which avacados are suddenly something ridiculous like 4/$1, even though gas prices at some stations in my 'hood still hover at *over* four dollars, leaving me to make a huge bowl of guacamole and stay home...

And in which a snack-sized Greyhound (also known as a miniature Dachshund) named Bonnie has decided that I am Her Human, even *after* I took her to the vet for Various Undignified Tests.

6 comments:

Special Sauce said...

So do you do fabulous guacamole too? Ours are not so cheap, but they were nice and ripe, so I made some for "I am too brain dead to do anything other than sit here and laugh at Arrested Development, and then I am going to go home and go to bed at 10:00 on a Friday night" with my friends last week, and it came pretty decent. (Well, for wingin' it.)

Al that to say, I'd love to see your recipe sometime! You always make the best food.

Jo said...

Actually (hiding face in shame) I buy the cryovac'ed stuff, usually.

My recipe for good guacamole? Find the best salsa you can, usually from the local Mexican restaurant. Bribe a busboy to bring you a jar full. Add to mashed avacados until it looks right.

Hell, avacados are never bad, no matter the recipe.

California's new slogan: Avadados, the Un-Fuck-Up-Able Food.

HypnoKitten said...

My hubby does that too - just mixes pace picante medium with an avacado and a few tablespoons of Dave's Insanity Salsa. Too hot for me. He mixes Dave's with V-8 and drinks it down like milk, too. I swear, that man's stomach is going to rot away from the inside! Good thing avacados up here were 2/$3 yesterday! I feel special...

shrimplate said...

My spouse got some Dave's Insanity Sauce in her eye once. That nearly became an actual medical emergency. That stuff is dangerous.

I like his Hurtin' Habenero a little better. It's still hot, but flavorful and he doesn't put a factory-load of industrial-strength capsacin into each bottle.

I love it when the avocados are cheap. The mangos are going cheap now, too, and I like to make fruity salsas.

We are even seeing evacuees here in The Great Southwest, and actually had a New Orleans patient on my unit yesterday. We sent him "home." To a local sports coliseum.

It's too much. I cried as I left work yesterday, mostly because I worked with a 41-year-old man who has abdominal CA and a poor prognosis ("three months") and he is just one of those very good people, but I also cried because I just can't take the bad news anymore.

me said...

Wait...do you mean an italian greyhound, instead of a mini Dachshund? I need more details on this story, please...why were you taking her to the vet? Also please please please post a link or something to the backpack dog?

Oh, yeah, uh, avocados good.

Jo said...

Denise, I mean a mini Doxie. I used to be owned by a Greyhound, and let me tell you, Dachshunds are the closest dog in terms of personality to a Grey I've ever met.

Iggies, while cute in a ratlike sort of way, tend to be extremely neurotic and weird.

Miss Snack-Size had doggie stomach flu. She's better now, on a bland diet, and doing fine.

As for Backpack Pooch, I'll see if I can't find a picture online. When I do, I'll post it.