Tuesday, April 19, 2005

What I do on my day off

"Sweet creeping zombie Elvis" Karen said as I walked into the bar, "Don't you own any sandals?"

I had put on a black short-sleeved sweater, jeans, and red pointy-toed cowboy boots. Karen's reaction caught me off guard until she explained that it's *spring*, dammit, and I ought to be showing off my toes.

"As a matter of fact," she continued, "I don't think you own anything that isn't a T-shirt."

She had a point.

Next thing I knew, she was pulling out her Palm Widget and making plans for us to go shopping. In a few days, I'll be heading out with a woman who is well over six feet tall and who holds a BA in fashion merchandising.

I forestalled her, though. Today I went shopping. Heh.

I bought two--*two*-- pairs of sandals. One is brown and low-heeled, with complex straps across the top of the foot; the other is black with one big strap across the toes and a pair of D-rings for decoration. The black pair has higher heels. Don't ask me why the D-rings; I assume it's Fashion.

Also a nice handbag. "Don't you own another purse?" Karen asked, eyeing my Peruvian woven shoulder-bag distastefully. The new one is black leather, shaped like a doctor's bag, and has muted white stitching and silver hardware. It's softer than the nicest pair of shoes I own and the handles fall over perfectly when you set it down.

And a linen suit. Nota bene: check out Target's new spring suits. And a pair of black cropped pants. And a blue linen man's shirt.

And three V-neck Hanes T-shirts. Hey, a girl's gotta be true to her inner Fashion Maven.

No comments: