Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Random thoughts, inspired by this virus.

I just finished a lovely hour reading Can't Spell, DVM's blog. Contrary to her title, she can indeed spell, mostly. And the stories are definitely worth a look.

Which reminds me: one thing that people always say to me, when I start talking about critters (especially dogs), is "Why didn't you become a vet?" The answer is very simple: I can't stand to see an animal in pain or afraid. People don't bother me a bit, because people can mostly understand words--or, if they can't, because of a stroke or brain tumor or whatall, they still retain basic human understanding of things like touch and smiles and singing. Critters in pain flip me right the hell out. I have no clue what to do and react badly. 

Once, manymany years ago, Evvie-cat got her front leg stuck in the crack of a staircase and hung up on an old twenty-penny nail. I was in hysterics as I called the mobile vet (thank Frog for mobile vets!). Dr. Mobile came, dropped a towel over her head, unhooked The Flannelcat from the nail, shot her up with antibiotics and maybe a tetanus shot (I may be remembering that wrong; somebody please tell me if cats can get tetanus), and earned my undying gratitude for two minutes' work.

The point here is that I have no trouble at all dealing with a generalized tonic-clonic seizure, a bleeding arterial puncture (which is more like a fountain than a bleed), a patient who's fallen and is unconscious, a code, or even a traumatic amputation. One injured animal, though, would send me over the frigging edge.

*** *** *** *** ***

Speaking of vets, mine has a pet kangaroo that somebody abandoned at the clinic. 

Now, we're in Texas. Texas is a long way from Australia, which is where kangaroos are, as far as I know, from. I suppose you could import a kangaroo, but let's be serious: what would you then do with said kangaroo?

Apparently the kangaroo loves the vet and hates everybody else.

*** *** *** *** ***

I think I've come up with Nurse Jo's Perfect Formula for Surviving A Nasty Cold: Delsym (grape flavor is actually not so bad!) ibuprofen, Mucinex (plain, please; don't overdose on dextromethorphan or go with unnecessary decongestants), soup, and Vick's Vaporub.

A happy puppy and a plate of cheese sticks go a long way, too. So does a glass of wine.

Wups! Happy Puppy is asking to be let in. Hang on...

*** *** *** *** ***

...so. The Cat Thing. 

This house feels terribly empty without a cat.

I think my birthday gift to myself will be a cat. The birthday is two months from now; I figure that's time enough to get over the bleak feeling of having done a cat-avoidance shuffle-step when there is no need, or of checking the couch before I sit down.

I'm going to get a cat that doesn't rush the door. It doesn't have to be a kitten, though the first crop of them will probably be showing up in the shelters in late February. It *does* have to be a shelter cat. And it will be spayed or neutered and NOT declawed. Furniture is temporary; cut-off finger-ends are forever. Future Cat and Max will learn to deal with one another.

*** *** *** *** ***

And speaking of Max, he's a wonder. Does anybody else have a Bullfrog Dog who goes "MMMMMmmmmmmMMMMMMM" when you rub his ears? His nickname these days is Mister Hayes.

*** *** *** *** ***

And, finally, a link I found at Can't Spell, DVM that is totally worth reading: LPN with an M16.

Be well, Army LPN. Come back to us in one piece. Bridge to an RN. I would be more than proud to work with you.

And thank you.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am the same exact way, watching people in pain, while it does bother me, is not as excruciating to watch than say watching an animal in pain. It kills me to watch an animal suffer, at least a human pt can tell you what hurts, where it hurts, and when they are comfortable again. Thanks for your posts i really enjoy them!
Uro*MA

shrimplate said...

I can make one of my two dogs, a red Texas Blue Lacy, yawn just by staring at its neck.

Anonymous said...

De-lurking to say sorry about the loss of your cat. I'm not a medical person but love your blog and have been reading for awhile.

I also can't stand to see animals in pain either.

I adopted a kitten 8 years ago and wanted him to be an indoor cat, so each time he went near the door we would walk over to it and stomp our feel and scold the door, loudly. It sounds silly and we felt like total idiots for hollering at a damn door, but you know what? It worked. He likes to sit near it in the warm weather, but as soon as we go near it for any reason, he skedaddles in the opposite direction. He's never tried sneaking out when it was left open by accident either. Bad, bad door!

CandyGirl said...

"It *does* have to be a shelter cat. And it will be spayed or neutered and NOT declawed. Furniture is temporary; cut-off finger-ends are forever. Future Cat and Max will learn to deal with one another."


That is exactly my belief on kitties: shelter or stray adopted, and fixed, but leave the rest of their bits alone!

I'd rather have a few scratched up chairs and a happy kitty.

:)

Can'tSpell, DVM said...

Thanks for the link! I love reading that people enjoyed ramblings and stories. Kudos on adopting a cat from a shelter- remember, cats like buddies, so get two!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I too am super squemish with animals but happy to inflict pain on people. At least I can explain what I'm doing to peole. I adopted a homeless (a stray, arived in the back yard)cat IGOR xmas before I graduated as an RN 2004, first cat I've had in 24 yrs(now I have my own home and yard), poor hubbies allergic but as the cat acts like a free councilor/massage pillow and destressor as well as surrogate child he lets me keep him. Poor Igor is blind in one eye mostly blind in the other but he loves me cos I saved him. He is the best cat. Only naughty in the usual cute, I'll sit right here on the paper while your reading kind of way, oh and the occasional nip to the ankle if I'm slow with the food. He is so loving and such good company, I hope your new cat is all these things and more. Jacquibee

Meagan said...

Thanks for the Kudos :D. So far, so good, but still got quite aways to go, thanks.